Missouri Depots
Hannibal 1920s 1930s 1940s

Home | All Depots | Rail Line List | County List | Latest Additions


*County* *Rail Line* *Remarks*
Marion STL&H Gone


This 1920s and 1930s photos of the Hannibal Depot were contributed by Bob McNeill.    Thanks Bob. The following comments are his.
This is a rare shot. This depot was built to last. The railroad was owned by John Ringling North of circus fame. He used Hannibal as an engine leasing operation and brought in massive locomotives like Russian Decopods and the like to refurbish and then lease to other roads. The depot was located down in the flood plain toward the south end of the open area you can see from Lover's Leap in Hannibal. From the trucks and billboards and condition of the rolling stock this is a 1920s or early 1930s era shot. The far end housed the offices and the near end was obviously a huge freight house.

Sadly this beautiful structure is long gone, as the railroad went under around 1931.

Front view

Photo courtesy of the Ralls County Historical Society.
1920s Photographer Unknown.



These 1941, 1929 and 1933 photos of the Hannibal Depot were contributed by Allen Ballard.    Thanks Allen. The following comments are his.
St. Louis & Hannibal RR depot building at 501 S. Main. Depot was built in 1892 by Albert Eisley for approx $8200. The front portion was torn down in 1948, the rear in Feb 1967. Photo is taken April 1941, photographer unknown. View is southwesterly from the South Main Street Bridge (built 1930s removed 2005-6). Depot had 4 rooms on the first floor, 4 more on the second floor, with a long freight building at the rear. This building was at the extreme northern end of 'The Short Line'. Image from original negative, from Steve Chou collection.

St. Louis & Hannibal Depot, April 29, 1929. Flood of 1929 view looks west up the beginning of the line. 3rd Street bridge is in the distance.

Left Front view of Building.

1941 Photo is from the Steve Chou Collection.
Photographer Unknown.


The following comments are also from Allen Ballard.
The StL&HRR depot building shot shown is perhaps as early as 1929, but I think the billboards date it in the mid 1930's. The Railroad was in decline in the 1930's, the southern end from below Bowling Green to Gilmore was abandoned in 1932, except for the 5 miles of the St. Louis & Troy RR. The Perry Branchline from New London (Ralls Jct) to Perry was abandoned in 1941, and the mainline from Hannibal (depot) to Bowling Green was abandoned in May 1944. However, the tracks from this location (on the south side of Bear Creek) remained in use as a Burlington spur serving the Marblehead Lime Co. for many years into the 1960's at least. Archie Hayden operated (conducted) cars over it during his career with BNSF. It was about 3/4 miles west to the lime plant.

West view of 1929 Flood.

Photo courtesy of the Conrad Cheatham/Archie Hayden Collection.
1929 Photographer Unknown.



St. Louis & Hannibal Depot, probably 1933 or 34, view looks Easterly at the depot w/ Mack motor coach #52 in the foreground.

East View of Mack Motor Coach.

Photo courtesy of the Conrad Cheatham/Archie Hayden Collection.
1933 Photographer Unknown.


Last Updated January 19, 2010 - - - Property of Jack Forbes ©